1. Only provide First Aid for things you are trained for. You are not a Doctor, and you are not expected to be one.
2. DON’T PANIC: you need to keep everyone calm, especially the casualty.
3. Keep it simple: even if its just calling the Ambulance and re-assuring the casualty – this is better than nothing.
4. If the patient is conscious do the following:
Stop: calm the casualty
Ask: what happened, how did it happen?
Look: observe site of injury – cut, swelling etc.
Touch: use sterile gloves if possible, especially if skin pierced.
5. If patient is unresponsive, ALWAYS call the Ambulance – 995. Must give exact location of casualty.
6. While waiting for an Ambulance, check:
Airways – make sure they are not obstructred
Breathing – check for breath sounds
Circulation – check pulse
7. Use AED if you are comfortable using it.
8. Begin CPR if appropriate – as per your training.
9. NEVER move a casualty with Neck injury – may cause severe spinal injury.
10. All head injuries should report to Hospital